SAKTI was a member of expert committee to define forests:
GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRA PRADESH
Supreme Court of India directions in writ petition (Civil) No.171 of 96 – Constitution of Expert Committee on Forest etc., - orders – Issued.
ENVIRONMENT FORESTS SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (FOR.I) DEPARTMENT
1. From the Assistant Register, Supreme Court of India D.O.No.597/
97PIL/ ERIT, SCI, New Delhi, Dt.17-12-1996.
O R D E R :
In the reference cited, the Supreme Court of India has issued directions to the all State Governments that the felling of trees in all forests is to remain suspended except in accordance with the working plans of the State Governments as approved by the Central Government in addition to specific direction to certain State Governments.
1. The Supreme Court of India has also issued directions that each State Government should constitute with0in one month an expert committee to identify the areas which are "forest" etc.
2. The Government hereby constitute an expert committee with the following as members:
1. Sri Pratap Bahdur, IFS, (Retd.) Forest Officer,
2. M.D., APSRAC,
3. Director, NRSA, (National Remote Sensing Agency)
4. Secretary to CLR(Commissioner Land Revenue)
5. Commissioner, tribal welfare,
6. Sivaramakrishan, SAKTI,
7. K.Subba Rao, IFS, Chief Conservator of Forests, Member Convenor.
The Committee will submit a report of the following points within a period of one month from the note of this order:
i). Identify areas which are ‘Forests’ irrespective of whether they are so notified, recognised or classified under any law, and irrespective of the ownership of the land of such forests
ii). Identify areas which were earlier forest but stand degraded, denuded or cleared; and
iii). Identify areas covered by plantation trees belonging to the Government and those belonging to private persons.
The members of the Committee will be entitled to draw TA/DA as applicable to Grade 1 officer of the State Government.
(BY ORDER AND IN THE NAME OF THE GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRA PRADEH)
PRINCIPAL SECRETARY TO GOVERNMENT
The Prl.Chief Conservator of Forest, A.P.Hyd.
Copy to the individual: through Prl.Chief Conservtor of Forest.